For a wide range of products, the required strip thickness, flatness and surface quality can be achieved more economically by linking the pickling and cold-rolling processes. This offers significant improvements with respect to mill productivity, yield and production costs as a result of the elimination of strip-threading and tailing-out operations. Reduced strip-head and tail-end losses also contribute to better overall yield. Speed-optimization systems from Primetals Technologies ensure the highest throughput rates under all operating conditions. In addition, maintenance, roll consumption and manpower requirements are lowered. Typical production capacities of such combined facilities are in the range of 1.2–2 million t/a.
Main benefits of Primetals Technologies' coupled pickling line and tandem cold mill
- Highest production rates
- Uniformly pickled surfaces
- Saving energy, reduce acid consumption
- Closed loops of acid, fume, and rinse circulation reduce operating costs in an environmentally friendly manner
- Optimized yield
- Reduced roll consumption
- Flexible production
- Tight tolerances for strip thickness, shape, and high surface quality
- Low costs for operation, maintenance, and minimum down times
- Lower mill energy consumption with small diameter work rolls
- Stable operation
- i-Box pickling tank for high performance pickling
- Acid concentration control system for pickled surface quality and to minimize acid consumption
- 6-high and 4-high mill stands for high flexibility for all products
- Universal Crown Control mill (UCM mill) with intermediate roll shifting for high reductions and excellent flatness control by eliminating undesirable contact area between rolls. This enables the application of an all straight roll.
- SmartCrown contour roll associated with axial roll-shifting for enhanced flatness control
- Roller bearings for Back-up Roll for better AGC
- High response HAGC system, named HYROP-F (Hydraulic Roll Position Control System with Force Motor Valve)
- High response AC motor and pinion drive
- Physical-based analytical models supported by neural network with multi-zone work roll cooling ensure mill setup and excellent shape control to achieve tight tolerances right from the start
- Flexible thread-in and thread-out strategies for all kinds of materials, such as IF, HSS, DP,TRIP etc.
- Patented compensation systems for correcting periodic roll and coil eccentricities
- Last stand can be used for smoothing or texturing strip surface
- Fully automated work roll and intermediate roll change for minimizing downtime
- High speed rotary shear for continuous operation of tension reel without any stoppage at coil switchover
- Carrousel tension reel achieve stable coiling of lead end and tail end
- Fully automatic operation allows operators to concentrate on product quality; actual operator intervention is reduced to an absolute minimum.
- Trimming with flying width change control
Plant productivity and product quality are substantially depending on the quality of plant automation, process control, and available process optimization functions.
To get the best performance out of a plant, Primetals Technologies provides add-on specific optimization solutions for further improvement of production efficiency and strip quality, besides standardized high performance automation system.
Throughput maximization with:
- OGO - Off Gauge Optimization for integrated rolling process
- SOS - Speed Optimization System for throughput optimization
Excellent Strip quality with:
- APM - Advanced pickling model for highest pickling performance
- REC - Roll Eccentricity Compensation for uniform and accurate strip thickness
- CECO - Coil Eccentricity Compensation for uniform and accurate strip thickness
- AFC - Model based Automatic Flatness control
- ChatterMon / Mill Chatter Monitoring with automatic process speed adaptation
Production flexibility and special steel grades:
- Precise mill setup by high-sophisticated Rolling models complying with changing production requirements and high strength steel qualities
- Neural network based adaptation and setups promising high product flexibility and easy extension of the production to new materials
- Optimized weld seam rolling supporting flexible production and obtaining minimum off-gauge
Primetals Technologies has supplied 55 plants from 1980 to June 2016, which is 71% of the global market share of continuous TCM