Primetals Technologies has provided blast furnace engineering, project excellence and expertise to customers world-wide for over a century. Our technology base covers the entire blast furnace process route from hot blast and raw material handling, through the furnace and casthouse, to gas cleaning and hot metal / slag processing. Our solutions extend from minor plant upgrades, through products and automations systems, to complete turnkey installations, all executed by our expert project management teams. This single-source capability forms the basis of fast project completion and start-up, for the complete range of solutions from small to ultra-large blast furnaces.
In a rapidly changing economic climate you need a technology supplier that can meet your changing needs. Well engineered plants are the basis for long-term, successful and profitable operations and as a blast furnace operator you need to maximise production from both new and existing blast furnace capacity, assuring a continuous and reliable supply of hot metal at uniform quality and lowest possible costs. As a steel producer, you need to minimise down-time and to ensure that your plant operates at the optimum cost basis. With over 200 plants supplied worldwide to date, we have the background and experience to meet your specific needs.
Fig.1- Dragon Steel No.1 and No.2 Blast Furnaces | Fig.2- JSW No.4 Blast Furnace Casthouse | Fig.3- Vizag No.1 Blast Furnace Tuyere Platform
- Single source supplier for all blast furnace equipment and service.
- Technologies to minimise operating costs whilst maintaining hot metal production and quality targets.
- Reliability through engineering and design excellence: to minimise production downtime and maximise campaign life.
- Reduced emissions below the legislative limits, whilst realising fuel-efficient operation.
- Immediate and long-term service for the entire life-cycle of your investments.
- Advanced control and automation systems to ensure safe and stable process conditions whilst minimising operator interaction.
Fig.4- CST No.3 Blast Furnace | Fig.5- Port Talbot No.5 Blast Furnace | Fig.6- Tata Steel Ltd, Port Talbot No.5 Blast Furnace Bustle Main Transportation
In order to optimise your investment planning and operational flexibility, we have developed world-leading solutions in all the blast furnace plant areas to deliver major improvement when undertaking repair, rebuild / reline or even new plants:
- State of the art, stave-cooled stack linings with intensive furnace stack monitoring systems - including anti-bend and anti-wear.
- Increased hearth volume for longer campaign life, with in-house refractory specialisation for repairs and problem solving.
- Hot blast stove replacement or repair with options for optimised hot blast temperature and gas utilisation.
- Dry and Wet Gas cleaning delivering state of the art environmental performance.
- Casthouse and taphole equipment providing reliable, safe and flexible operations.
- Furnace top charging systems and fuel injection fully integrated to the material feed control philosophy.
- World-Class automation and control systems (Level 1,2 and Expert system).
Fig.7- Dragon Steel No.2 Blast Furnace Stove Cross Over | Fig.8- Dragon Steel No.2 Blast Furnace Tuyere Stocks | Fig.9- Dry Slag Granulation Plant
pure.iron - Intelligent automation for ironmaking
The blast furnace process control system in combination with the blast furnace optimization system creates the next level in intelligent blast furnace automation. The optimal interaction between sophisticated models and the expert system provides extended assistance to plant operators and minimizes the risk of human errors.
Cost-optimized operation, process improvements that don’t compromise burden-material selection, the highest product quality, and achieving and maintaining your desired productivity are the core challenges for our most advanced blast furnace automation system. The optimized burden calculation with precise chemical targets and subsequent closed-loop controls form the basis for producing hot metal and slag at the highest quality, while simultaneously reducing energy consumption.
The optimization system provides easy access to all process parameters, material properties, and productivity data - including charging information, chemical and physical burden material, and process measurements so that the optimal conditions for producing hot metal and slag at the best quality level can be determined.
The system guarantees shift-independent plant operation where manual interactions are reduced to a minimum. The result is smooth blast furnace operation 24/7, increased equipment lifetime, and reduced production costs.
High productivity – Blast furnace is running at peak performance while minimizing consumption of electrical energy and fuel
Product quality - Chemical properties of hot metal and slag are maintained at the desired levels
Reduced fuel consumption - The hot metal’s temperature remains constant through small modifications of the fuel rate, based on the thermal conditions of the blast furnace
Stable and shift-independent operation - Best-practice blast furnace operation 24 hours a day to ensure efficient production
Fast response to market demands - Quick and flexible reactions to market requirements as well as unexpected situations
Return on investment - The standard period is expected to be less than one year
Stove / refractory services
From design to supply and maintenance, Primetals Technologies is involved in the entire product lifecycle of your hot blast stove.
- Investigation and reporting
- Plan future maintenance or correction work
- Supply and inspection of new refractories
Reliable equipment is a result of sound design, fitnessfor purpose concepts and safety features, coupled with mechanisms to fulfill environmental and operability demands. Key design tools to optimize solutions include
finite element stress analysis and computational fluid dynamics.
Primetals Technologies has a long and successful history of commissioning both new and rebuilt blast furnaces,
whether the design is from Primetals Technologies or a third party. Activities include management, programming
and commissioning activities to successfully bring your blast furnace into rapid production.
Investigation and study work
In the event of plant failures or with a view to optimize plant operations, Primetals Technologies can undertake
small or larger-scale studies. On the basis of their extensive technical and operational experience, Primetals
Technologies engineers provide you with short- or longterm solutions, which can also serve as the basis for future investment planning.
- MERIM – Maximized Emission Reduction and Energy Recovery
- WDS – Wet Dedusting System
- Casthouse and Stockhouse Dedusting
- Top Gas Recovery Turbine (TRT)
- Dry Slag Granulation with Heat Recovery
- Dry Slag Granulation with Heat Recovery
- Ferrous Briquetting – Recycling of by-products
- GasFerm – Generation of added value for offgases
Fig.1- MERIM plant for blast furnace | Fig.2- Top gas recovery turbine | Fig.3- GasFerm plant layout