As demand for quality and quantity of rolled aluminum increases; so do the demands on production equipment. Primetals Technologies solution provides a synthesis of mechanical actuators, electrical and automation control systems and applied process know-how to deliver gauge, profile/flatness, temperature, and surface quality with the highest level of consistency.
- Single and Two-Stand Roughing Mills
- Twin Coiler Reversing Mills
- Tandem Finishing Mills (three & four stands)
- Mini Mills (Integrating Caster with Tandem Finishing Mill)
- Plate Mills
Fig.1- Hot rolling mill | Fig.2- Tandem hot finishing mill | Fig.3- Roughing mill
- Universal partnership - Primetals Technologies is your single-source supplier for mechanical, electrical and automation equipment.
- Top Quality - our cutting edge technologies help you improve product quality significantly
- Greater efficiency - modular automation packages allow you to fine-tune your processes to fit your current needs
- Higher yield - intelligent process control reduces waste
- Optimum reliability - comprehensive maintenance and service offerings ensure the highest availability of plant
- Flexible low-cost rolling of a wide range of products, even for small order lots
- Integrated health and safety concepts
Fig.4- Tension reel | Fig.5- Four stand Tandem mill operation side | Fig.6- Tandem mill Entry
To meet the needs of our market, our hot mill solutions feature a range of common technological enhancements to enhance performance, operability, safety and ease of maintenance. These include:
- Mill stand equipment designed for the highest rolling loads and high main drive torques
- Mill set-up equipment
- Hydraulic systems to provide controllable, responsive, precise, safe, and efficient solutions including:
- Hydraulic gauge control
- Fully hydraulic vertical edger
- Work roll bending and shifting
- Hydraulic shears
- Hydraulic guides
- Scratch brush loading
- Torsion type tension meter for between stands (less hysteresis)
- Mill automation and process control
- Pulse width modulated Work Roll Spray Bars
- Rapid, side shifting Work Roll change
- Efficient fume hoods and fume extraction
- Strip coolant blow-off
- SmartCrown roll contour which guarantees enhanced profile and flatness control
- Integral Solenoid Valve (ISV) Sprays
- Filtration system
- Tension Reel
- Inspection equipment
Continuous improvements of the quality of rolled aluminum products together with increasing demands regarding mill uptime and productivity are strongly supported by new developments and enhanced functionality of Primetals Technologies electric and automation applications for rolling mills. Today's demands for flexible and economic production of aluminum plate, aluminum strip or foil can only be met by electrical and automation solutions, that are based on profound knowledge and a deep understanding of the aluminum rolling technology. This kind of know how in combination with our expertise in mathematics, physics, control algorithms, mechanical, hydraulics and electrical engineering qualify Primetals Technologies to design and develop technological process models, high-performance control systems, reliable and mill proven drive systems, as well as all other electrical equipment necessary for the operation of rolling mills. In short, Primetals Technologies is able to supply complete mills or rolling mill equipment from one source. All our solutions are well approved and have been optimized in many applications with well-established customers all over the world.
Modern automation concept for improved product quality on Aluminum Hot Mills
Technological controls and process models are the core of our modern automation concept with the goal of maximizing utilization of the mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and other controlled equipment. The control concepts have evolved with the increasing performance of the equipment and increasing demands in terms of tolerances of the final product– from simple analog PI controllers to highly complex and interlinked control systems. These controls and process models are nowadays integrated and the added value is well seen in the resultant strip quality.
These added values are:
• Improved gauge tolerances,
• Less off-gauge material,
• Perfect profile and flatness to meet growing demands worldwide.
• Maximum throughput
Scalable Technological Control Systems for Aluminum Hot Mills
These highly standardized EA packages have modular design and defined interfaces.
• Short delivery times thanks to the use of standardized components with high availability
• Fast start-up due to a field-proven solution with references around the world
• High product quality due to integrated suite of quality control functions
• Compact design with highly integrated components and allow installation even in confined areas
• Trouble free implementation due to modular design for new mill plants as well as for upgrades, extensions and revamps also of 3rd party systems
• Additional upgrades with add-on packages allow state-of the art improvements of functionality, strip quality and higher mill productivity even as a later retrofit
• Attractive CAPEX due to standardized solutions
Integrated Digital Drive Systems
Integrated fully digital systems with full capability of technological and diagnostic performance are designed for drive control using high speed multi-microprocessors.
Flexible applications range from single drives with pinion gears to integrated drive systems for twin-drive and tandem-drive. DC converters, AC cyclo-converter drives and AC multilevel drives, cover the wide range of power and voltage ratings required. Comprehensive software development tools and libraries are supplied as part of the system. Diagnostic capabilities with local display of messages, operator control and monitoring are included in the applications.
Process rolling models provide optimum setup and gains for production process control
The core of the automation system is the set-point calculation module on the basis of online process models and rolling directives. The philosophy behind our process models combines physically modelling wherever possible with artificial neural networks, e.g. to describe the influence of specific alloy elements – thus combining robustness with high precision.
The advantages of online process models in combination with neural networks for adaptation in process automation include the more accurate set points and easy matching of new materials. Primetals Technologies process automation also optimizes product quality by permitting a very high degree of flexibility in creating the parameters for the rolling directives. Rolling directives are derived automatically from the specific material characteristics of the alloy to be rolled.
General benefits are:
• Steep start-up curves as the "physical knowledge" from many mills is available right from the start
• High accuracy through making use of the experience gained from rolling many thousands of strip mills
• Extension of behavior to new alloys and to new dimensions
• Ability to double-check results to ensure they are physically meaningful - no "black box feeling".
Experience on Aluminum Hot Mills
Over the recent decades Primetals Technologies has successfully automated literally dozens of Aluminum Hot Mill all over the world, cooperating with world-class Aluminum producers. The range of Primetals Technologies references covers the full range of Hot mill applications including Plate Mills, Roughing Mills, single stand Reversing Finishing Mills and multi-stand Tandem Hot Mills.