To remain competitive, new and existing mills must be as well prepared for this challenge as possible. The production of hot strip is a key element of steel production. Given that close to half of all steel produced is hot-rolled to strip, mills require maximum throughput and availability combined with geometrical precision and the ability to create optimum material properties.
Global Competence in Hot Rolling
Primetals Technologies has extensive expertise in the design, manufacturing, installation and commissioning of Hot Strip Mills and equipment. Our comprehensive portfolio includes:
- Slab Sizing Press (SSP)
- Automatic Width Control (AWC)
- Heavy hydraulic edger for Roughing Mill
- Coil Box
- Crop Shear
- Laminar cooling system
- Pinch-roll quick exchange unit
- Eco Slide Disc
- Modular Coil Shuttle System (MCS)
- Sampling station
Additionally, our portfolio includes Finishing Mills with various advanced technologies for perfect strip:
- Pair Cross & SmartCrown® Technology for powerful profile and enhanced shape control
- Mill Stabilizing Device (MSD) for stable threading and rolling in demanding high reduction rolling
- Looper Shape Meter (LSM) for measuring shape of strip at interstand
- Work Roll Lubrication (WRL) for reduction in rolling force and for maintaining work roll surface quality
- Dynamic work roll cooling for control of work roll thermal crown
- Online Roll Profiler (ORP) for maintaining work roll surface quality by online grinding
Primetals Technologies offers two advanced solutions for trending endless rolling processing. One is Arvedi ESP, where the process produces hot strip in a combined, continuous, and uninterrupted casting and rolling process. The other is endless rolling for conventional hot strip rolling mills.
Want to know more about Integrated Plants? Go to Integrated Plants & Solutions.
Complete automation and process control for Hot Strip Mills
Plant productivity and product quality are substantially depending on the quality of plant automation, process control, and available process optimization functions. Primetals Technologies provides standardized high-performance automation systems seamlessly integrating:
- Digitalization packages (e.g. TPO, MAT, Condition Monitoring, Intelligent Sensors)
- Production management systems (Level 3)
- Physical models combined with artificial intelligence (Level 2)
- Automation solutions including advanced technological controls (Level 1)
For existing installations, optimization packages are available as stand-alone solutions to improve production efficiency and strip quality.
Throughput maximization with:
- Mill Pacing including cooling beds charging optimization
- Strip Width Controller
Excellent strip quality with:
- Contour and Flatness Optimizer
- Comprehensive Temperature Model and Control (CTM and CTC)
- Strip Steering Control (SSE)
- Wedge and Camber Expert
- Microstructure Monitor (MSM)
Our solutions provide:
- Process Automation Twin to safely develop new materials and to optimize rolling schedules
- Central Operation Cockpit to support mill operation (centralized operation)
- Software architecture open for customers own future developments
- Modular structure for step-by-step modernizations
Lifecycle Services — improve performance while reducing costs
Service and support from a single source – fast, experienced, reliable
As your lifecycle partner, we provide you with comprehensive operational support, which helps you operate your plant at the lowest cost possible. Our portfolio includes maintenance and repair services as well as the fast delivery of original manufacturer components, produced in-house according to the highest standards of quality.
We fully integrate maintenance organizations into our customers’ organizations, thereby proving what it means to be a true lifecycle partner. The result of this win-win relationship between steel plant operators and Primetals Technologies is continuous improvement in equipment performance, product quality, and total cost of ownership.
Our customers can rely on fast and uncomplicated support in the event of an unexpected component breakdown, wherever their facility may be located. Backed by global resources and a worldwide supplier chain, we can promptly provide you with top-quality original spare and wear parts at competitive prices. We keep a range of key parts in stock to ensure their fast availability.
Want to know more? Go to Primetals Technologies Lifecycle Services Site
Formosa Ha Tinh Steel Corporation, Ha Tinh, Vietnam
Type of plant
Hot strip mill
An advanced Pair Cross mill with mill stabilizing device is used for stable operation of the process for producing thinner and harder steel. Meanwhile, a powerful crop shear and downcoiler are supplied to meet the increasingly complex requirements involved in the production of heavy gauge steel. For higher overall productivity, the slab sizing press is introduced for aggregation of slab width. Furthermore, to ensure smooth project execution, Primetals Technologies also provides first-class support for installation, erection, commisioning, and staff training.