As the demands on the quantity and quality of aluminum foil have increased, so have the demands on the equipment to produce the foil. At present, rolling mills are expected to roll foil to less than six microns thick in widths of up to two meters and be capable of speeds in excess of 2,000 meters/minute. To meet these expectations, Primetals Technologies mills include state-of-the-art features for high-speed operation while process support ensures record start-up time and the ability to achieve that the very first coil rolled following a changed mill set-up be saleable. Industry standards for key metrics are exceeded.
Our portfolio of mill designs is in line with the market trend towards larger coil weights, combined with wider strip to help our customers maximize yield and productivity. Primetals Technologies offers a completely integrated automation and drive solution, including the latest generation of drive technology and a powerful automation platform, ensuring:
- Rolling speeds of 2000m/min
- Product widths > 2000mm
- Finished thickness of 0.0055mm (5.5 micron)
- Our Foil Mills feature a number of automated systems for coil, spool, and scrap handling as well as high speed work roll change.
- Operation and drive-side work roll latching allows for thermal expansion of the rolls to the operator side. This is accommodated by bearing clearances which eliminates potential thrust forces on the mill spindles and work roll bending rams during long period passes.
- Operation and drive side backup roll latching similarly eliminates potential thrust forces on the roll load cylinder during long passes.
- An optimized mill bearing design with specifically tailored tolerances enhance high-speed operation
- Oil air lubrication system to both the work roll and the backup roll bearings maintains bearing temperatures within their operating range under high speed rolling and allows for the use of synthetic oils, which have a better load carrying capability
- A work roll and backup roll bearing temperature measurement function ensures precise monitoring of the bearing temperatures.
- A constant-force ironing roll permits consistently higher coiling speeds
- Spindle piloting eliminates potential roll vibration by providing a positive location of the roll neck in the spindle end.
- Foil Roughing Mills, Foil Intermediate Mills, Foil Finishing Mills
- Foil Universal Mills
- Bright Finish Mills
- Automated foil feed system
- Entry bridle
- "E-block" configuration, +ve & -ve roll bending
- Automated sequencing of coil and spool handling
- Automated spool keyway positioning
- Coil interlap oiling
- Single or Double Unwinder
- Edge trimming and scrap removal
- Mill bearing temperature monitoring & analysis
- Roll chock cooling
- Hydraulically operated constant force ironing roll
- Automatic pass line height adjustment
- Strip dryness system
- Schneider coolant filtration, manufactured in-house
- Fume cleaning & oil recovery system
- Automatic gauge and flatness control
- Air Bearing Shapemeter
- Shapemeter & spray bar shifting system
- Integral Solenoid Valve (ISV) sprays with hot edge sprays
- Comprehensive monitoring and diagnostics
- Rolling schedule maintenance
- Productivity and yield optimization
Continuous improvements of the quality of rolled aluminum products together with increasing demands regarding mill uptime and productivity are strongly supported by the developments and enhanced functionality of our applications for rolling mills. Technological controls and process models are the core of our modern automation concept for improved product quality with maximized utilization of the mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and other controlled equipment
- World class thickness and flatness tolerances,
- Less off-gauge material,
- Maximum throughput and availabillity
Scalable Technological Control Systems
Highly standardized packages with modular design and defined interfaces.
- Short delivery times
- Fast start-up
- High product quality and highest yield
- Modular design (new mills, upgrades, extensions and revamps)
- Ready for Industry 4.0
Integrated Digital Drive Systems
with full capability of technological and diagnostic performance for drive control using high speed multi-microprocessors. Flexible applications cover the wide range of power and voltage ratings.
Technological controls and process models
are highly standardized in our Technological Control System (TCS). The range of functions available includes online process models for precise mill set-up for fast and smooth acceleration and max. throughput. It further includes all relevant gauge and flatness control algorithms for all thickness ranges and alloys.
Primetals Technologies has successfully automated Aluminum Cold Mills all over the world, cooperating with world-class Aluminum producers. Our references cover all mill types for Aluminium Cold Rolling.