Quality plate is about metallurgical precision – high strength and toughness at alloying levels that keep costs down and preserve weldability. It is also about maintaining precise thickness across the full width, as well as consistent flatness to assure fit-up in fabrication. For the successful plate producer, the mill is more than the rolling stand(s) at its core. Ancillary processes, in cooling and levelling in particular, are vital to quality, and control of the process is the key to efficient asset utilization. Beyond the operations and the engineering, there is a business – one that supplies some of the most safety-critical applications, and the most demanding customers in all of industry. When you are looking for a reliable and expert partner for your venture in this marketplace, Primetals Technologies is this partner.
- Plate Mill - Roughing mill, Finishing mill, Edger
- Pair Cross for Profile Control
- Roll Shift for Roll Wear
- Hydraulic AGC
- Push Up Cylinder for Roll Pass Adjustment
- Low Head Type Edger With Hydraulic AWC
- Controlled Cooling During Rolling
- Hot Plate Leveler
- Cooling Bed
- Shears for Finishing Line
- Double Side Trimming Shears
- Slitting Shears
- Dividing Shears
Designing a plate mill is far more than an exercise in mechanical engineering. It is a special and unique example of combining operational efficiency and metallurgical function. Plate products derive their properties from the deformation and temperature path they follow, and this means that the flexibility to roll a broad mix in a single mill must be built into the layout and the machine parameters. These design factors have to be right for all time. Getting them right starts with a complete understanding of process metallurgy, and translating this into a complete and robust design relies on experience. Primetals Technologies has more experience than anyone of the design and supply of modern wide plate mills, allowing us to develop and use engineering tools for the plate mill application specifically.
Tools for Successful Design
- Bespoke Process Models (incorporating metallurgy as well as roll-bite mechanics and heat transfer)
- Facilities Design Methods (leading to maximized asset utilization under optimal deformation-temperature paths)
- Finite Element Analysis and Simulation (modern engineering tools to prove and optimize equipment performance)
The best designed and installed plate mills guarantee a long operating life, through changing markets as well as emerging and improving mill technology. The key to a sustainable asset is modular technology, allowing upgrades to be made as efficiently as possible in both time and cost terms. The integration skills of Primetals Technologies and our broad base of engineering disciplines, from machine design through process control and metrology, make us an ideal partner in the maintenance and development of the plate mill as a lasting asset. The potential of the modular approach is wide-ranging too. It can equip a new operator for a lower-volume market at entry with scope for future capacity growth, or it can guide an established operator into new product markets. Future-proofing of a customer's business may be the greatest challenge for any technology provider, but in plate mills, Primetals Technologies is your partner to provide it.
Examples of Modular Technology
- MULPIC® Multi Purpose Interrupted Cooling Systems
- Descaling Technologies
- Profile and Flatness Control Technologies
- Transformation Monitor
- Leveler Technologies
- Shear Technologies
Primetals Technologies also supplies Quench and Temper Plate Heat Treatment lines as well as Normalizing Plate Heat Treatment lines. Read more
Fig.1- Plate mill
Fig.2-Interrupted cooling is vital in developing high strength
Fig.3- Manipulators can change the plate orientation 90 degrees
Thanks to integrated process models today's demands for flexible and economic production of steel plate can only be met by electrical and automation solutions based on technological process modeling, high-performance control systems, and a comprehensive understanding of hot rolling technology.
Therefore electrical and automation solutions meet new and challenging requirements to help ensure reliable, reproducible quality to be able to produce plate more accurately than ever before.
In order to master these requirements we offer solutions which already feature Industry 4.0 readiness through seamless integration of:
- Production Management Systems (Level3)
- Model based Process Automation including neural networks (Level2)
- Advanced Automation solutions (Level1)
- Most powerful mill drives for higher throughput
The combination of this together with a profound knowledge of the rolling process provides:
- Dynamic batching and advanced interleaving for thermo-mechanical rolling.
- Mill Pacing including charging optimization of the cooling beds to increase throughput
- Tapered rolling to achieve thickness profile over length as well as precise control of width during broad-size rolling sequences
- Optimum support of operating personnel with an easy-to-understand human-machine interface
- Embedded system diagnostics for efficient maintenance and quality assurance
- Modular design of software landscape to minimize familiarization and maintenance time
Process meets Project
We offer our customers three propositions that guide our business.
- Process know-how underpins plant design, because this is what assures both metallurgical quality and operational efficiency
- Translating the concept into a working asset demands co-operation, so that customer and supplier share common goals. Through our excellent project management and collaborative approach, we ensure an early return on investment for all partners.
- A sustainable plate mill is one that can be adapted and developed over time, quickly and at a competitive cost. Modular technology is the key, and so our principal Research & Development effort is directed at packages that can enhance an existing mill, responding to specific and evolving market needs.
Once the design concept is known and agreed, realizing it becomes a collaborative process. At Primetals Technologies, project management is just as much a core skill as our engineering, and our long track record teaches us that the most successful projects are also the most co-operative ones. When customer and supplier understand and respect each other's investment in the project, co-operation can follow. A single common plan to manufacture, install and commission the new equipment mill leads to the quickest and most secure return for both partners, and builds the right relationship to keep on working together throughout the life of the plant. This philosophy holds true regardless of the capital scale of the project, whether it's an entire new mill or a single item of line equipment.
- Commissioning Philosophy
- Lifetime Services
- Approaches to Finance
Fig.1- Plate mill
Fig.2-Double side shear for slitting and width cutting
Fig.3- Hot plate leveler