Quality plate is about metallurgical precision – high strength and toughness at alloying levels that keep costs down and preserve weldability. It is also about maintaining precise thickness across the full width, as well as consistent flatness to assure fit-up in fabrication. For the successful plate producer, the mill is more than the rolling stand(s) at its core. Ancillary processes, in cooling and levelling in particular, are vital to quality, and control of the process is the key to efficient asset utilization. Beyond the operations and the engineering, there is a business – one that supplies some of the most safety-critical applications, and the most demanding customers in all of industry. When you are looking for a reliable and expert partner for your venture in this marketplace, Primetals Technologies is this partner.
- Plate Mill - Roughing mill, Finishing mill, Edger
- Pair Cross for Profile Control
- Roll Shift for Roll Wear
- Hydraulic AGC
- Push Up Cylinder for Roll Pass Adjustment
- Low Head Type Edger With Hydraulic AWC
- Controlled Cooling During Rolling
- Hot Plate Leveler
- Cooling Bed
- Shears for Finishing Line
- Double Side Trimming Shears
- Slitting Shears
- Dividing Shears
Designing a plate mill is far more than an exercise in mechanical engineering. It is a special and unique example of combining operational efficiency and metallurgical function. Plate products derive their properties from the deformation and temperature path they follow, and this means that the flexibility to roll a broad mix in a single mill must be built into the layout and the machine parameters. These design factors have to be right for all time. Getting them right starts with a complete understanding of process metallurgy, and translating this into a complete and robust design relies on experience. Primetals Technologies has more experience than anyone of the design and supply of modern wide plate mills, allowing us to develop and use engineering tools for the plate mill application specifically.
Tools for Successful Design
- Bespoke Process Models (incorporating metallurgy as well as roll-bite mechanics and heat transfer)
- Facilities Design Methods (leading to maximized asset utilization under optimal deformation-temperature paths)
- Finite Element Analysis and Simulation (modern engineering tools to prove and optimize equipment performance)
The best designed and installed plate mills guarantee a long operating life, through changing markets as well as emerging and improving mill technology. The key to a sustainable asset is modular technology, allowing upgrades to be made as efficiently as possible in both time and cost terms. The integration skills of Primetals Technologies and our broad base of engineering disciplines, from machine design through process control and metrology, make us an ideal partner in the maintenance and development of the plate mill as a lasting asset. The potential of the modular approach is wide-ranging too. It can equip a new operator for a lower-volume market at entry with scope for future capacity growth, or it can guide an established operator into new product markets. Future-proofing of a customer's business may be the greatest challenge for any technology provider, but in plate mills, Primetals Technologies is your partner to provide it.
Examples of Modular Technology
- MULPIC® Multi Purpose Interrupted Cooling Systems
- Descaling Technologies
- Profile and Flatness Control Technologies
- Transformation Monitor
- Leveler Technologies
- Shear Technologies
Primetals Technologies also supplies Quench and Temper Plate Heat Treatment lines as well as Normalizing Plate Heat Treatment lines. Read more
Fig.1- Plate mill
Fig.2-Interrupted cooling is vital in developing high strength
Fig.3- Manipulators can change the plate orientation 90 degrees
Thanks to integrated process models today's demands for flexible and economic production of steel plate can only be met by electrical and automation solutions based on technological process modeling, high-performance control systems, and a comprehensive understanding of hot rolling technology.
Therefore electrical and automation solutions meet new and challenging requirements to help ensure reliable, reproducible quality to be able to produce plate more accurately than ever before.
In order to master these requirements we offer solutions which already feature Industry 4.0 readiness through seamless integration of:
- Production Management Systems (Level3)
- Model based Process Automation including neural networks (Level2)
- Advanced Automation solutions (Level1)
- Most powerful mill drives for higher throughput
The combination of this together with a profound knowledge of the rolling process provides:
- Dynamic batching and advanced interleaving for thermo-mechanical rolling.
- Mill Pacing including charging optimization of the cooling beds to increase throughput
- Tapered rolling to achieve thickness profile over length as well as precise control of width during broad-size rolling sequences
- Optimum support of operating personnel with an easy-to-understand human-machine interface
- Embedded system diagnostics for efficient maintenance and quality assurance
- Modular design of software landscape to minimize familiarization and maintenance time
Lifecycle Services — improve performance while reducing costs
Service and support from a single source — fast, experienced, reliable
As your lifecycle partner, we provide you with comprehensive operational support, which helps you operate your ironmaking, steelmaking, rolling and processing facilities at the lowest cost possible. Our portfolio includes maintenance and repair services as well as the fast delivery of original manufacturer components, produced in-house according to the highest standards of quality.
We fully integrate maintenance organizations into our customers’ organizations, thereby proving what it means to be a true lifecycle partner. The result of this win-win relationship between steel plant operators and Primetals Technologies is continuous improvement in equipment performance, product quality and total cost of ownership.
Our customers can rely on fast and uncomplicated support in case of an unexpected component breakdown, wherever their facility may be located. Backed by global resources and a worldwide supplier chain, we can promptly provide you with top-quality original spare and wear parts at competitive prices. We keep a range of key parts on stock to ensure their fast availability.
Want to know more? Go to Primetals Technologies Lifecycle Services Site